Post Title: Expert – Budget and Accounting
Office: Department of Administration, Finance and Human Resources
Supervisor: Assistant Secretary-General
Duty Station: OACPS Secretariat, Belgium
Posting period: 10 September 2021 to 30 October 2021
Post Number: ACP/41/064/21/AFHR/HR/CNA
No. of Vacancies: 1
Under the guidance and supervision of the Assistant Secretary-General responsible for the Department of Administration, Finance, and Human Resources (AFHR), the Expert-Budget and Accounting will provide financial management and accounting services to the OACPS Secretariat while ensuring high-quality, accurate and consistent work. The incumbent promotes a client-oriented approach, in line with the Rules and Regulations of the OACPS Secretariat.
The Expert-Budget and Accounting:
The Expert-Budget and Accounting heads the Accounting Unit and supervises the Accounting Assistant. In undertaking his/her duties and responsibilities, the incumbent works closely with the Assistant Secretary-General and other OACPS Secretariat staff for information sharing and has direct contacts with the officials of the European Commission for the management of resources made available to the Secretariat.
Functions/Key Results Expected in the following areas
1. Prepares and monitors the budget of the OACPS Secretariat and ensures its proper management focusing on the achievement of the following results:
2. Verifies/approves/confirms that proposed obligations or expenditure for services, facilities, supplies and equipment expenses, as well as those pertaining to personnel, are in accordance with the Financial Regulations and Rules of the ACP, relevant appropriations and staffing tables and corresponding approved allotments, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
3. Ensures that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
4. Prepares or consolidates financial statements for internal and external audits. Responds to internal/external audit observations, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
5. Responsible for the smooth functioning of the Organisation’s accounting system and preparation of specifications for its enhancement, advises and assists the ASG on accounting and financial issues. Provides substantive support for the implementation of new accounting systems. Takes initiative to improve accounting processes and approaches, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
6. Follows up on the payment of Member States’ contributions, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
Impact of Results
The expected key results have an impact on decisions taken concerning the Organisation’s finances, as well as its financial and accounting procedures, which in turn enhance the confidence of the OACPS-EU Member States with respect to the efficiency and effectiveness of the Secretariat’s financial operations
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, or related field. Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA) or equivalent is desirable.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, budgeting or related area. Experience in an international organisation is desirable.
Good command of English, French, Portuguese or Spanish. A good working knowledge of at least one of the other three languages would be an added advantage
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed and may be assessed through other methods.
Candidates for the post must be nationals of Member States from the African, Caribbean and Pacific regions and must therefore attach a copy of their valid passport for proof of nationality. Applications from non-ACP nationals will not be considered.
Staff Members of the OACPS are subject to the authority of and duties assigned by the Secretary-General and will discharge their functions under conditions established by the Secretary General.
All employment decisions are made on the suitability of the candidate and the needs of the OACPS. Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible.
The appointment to this position is for an initial period of 3 years and renewal thereof is subject to the needs of the OACPS and availability of the post or funds.
Applications for this post should be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com and must reach the Secretariat by midnight on the deadline date.
Applications must be accompanied by updated curriculum vitae completed in the following format: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/editors/en/cv/compose. Applications in another format will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further evaluation. Applicants must provide copies of degrees, diplomas, certificates and any other document attesting to their competence and professional experience.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and those under serious consideration will be subjected to reference checks.
Your application was submitted successfully.